Chiswick - paper mache bowl.

1:04:00 PM

I remember in art class having to make our own paper mache- had it not been mandatory i would never have even attempted. it's just one big mess! but Chiswick has a wonderful product that makes paper mache work a breeze - yes you guessed it! Ready mixed paper mache. This means that you can simply pick the project you want to make and start. So for this little project i called my inner child closer. Remember those bowls and post you used to make at school for your mom? well i do - so i decided to make her a little "imperfect" bowl filled with flowers just because. Now let me start by saying it is not perfect - and that is what i love about it. it's real and fun and that's important to me. I had a blast as i dug into the pot of paper mache and got my hands dirty - transporting me back to those fun and carefree dyas of when i was just a kid.
i used a glass bowl from the kitchen as a mould to make mine.
i used some grey chalk paint to paint the outside of the paper mache to give it a french look. I think my next project will be a bowl covered in silver leaf for a luxurious look and feel.
i love how the paper mache is not perfectly white, but has a cream tint to it making it soft and fluffy.
Here's how i did it
step 1 - I used a spoon to scoop some paper mache out of the tub. You only need a little bit at a time.
step 2 - Grease your mould with some spray and cook (for class and plastic) before applying the paper mache to it. I worked on small sections at a time until my bowl was completely covered. I left the top edges rough and unfinished.
step 3 - leave the paper mache to dry until it is fully cured. The bowl will simply pop off of the mould you used. Then decorate your bowl with paint, silver leaf, paper, serviettes or whatever your heart desired.
Now that i have tried it out i am sending my niece a pot of paper mache so she and my nephwe can create some great art for grandma. I love how easy this is to use and can't wait for my next mask or model creation so i can use this wonderful product. paper Mache is available from Chiswick at your local craft store. You can phone Denise or visit their website for info and details.
the advantages of this pre-mixed product
You save loads of time and frustration rather than trying to mix your own
It is safe for your kids to use and non toxic
It is similar to clay but air dries
I used a class bowl from the kitchen and sprayed it with spray and cook to give it a coating that will release my bowl easily when dry
You can use craft glue to adhere things to your paper mache project
It comes in different sized tubs making it perfect for any project
I hope you will make some time for you and the kids to try out this amazing product - they will have loads of fun!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images